Friday, August 29, 2008

Climate Change is my Fault

Ouch, it kinda hurts to say that.

I’m here. So is climate change. It is time for me to admit that ok, already, "Hi, my name is Richard and I am a global warmer". It’s the first step to recovery, don’t you know.

Not that it really matters whose fault it is, that is all water over the bridge. But going forward, what is important, is taking personal responsibility and commitment to finding solutions.

Looking back 20 years when I first became concerned, I first sat around watching depressing documentaries for a couple of year before deciding to get off my ass. I ditched the Accord. I took up cycling, walking and transit. Started some organizations, led protest rides, got a few metres for cyclists here and there.

I didn’t envision that 20 years later we would be in a worse mess than the day I started. Obviously, I failed miserable. Emissions are up 30% since the late eighties. Not that that matters going forward either. Playing blame game solitaire isn’t much fun but it sure beats passing the buck.

The wait until you do something before I will do anything game being played between the US, Canada, India and China is getting tiresome to stay the least. Although it is what made me pissed off enough to write this so I guess it is serving a useful purpose. Small consolation though.

Pointing ones finger at oil companies, republicans, the United States or China. Problem is, that really doesn’t solve anything except perhaps a lack of smugness. All I really can do is everything I can do. If others decide to do anything, that is great. That is their choice.

I admire people like Al Gore and David Suzuki for their commitment and tremendous. They have inspired millions to take action. They may well be successful in their efforts, but I not going to sit back and hope that they or anyone else will be successful. It is simply too large a risk to take.

So what does that look like? Well, you are looking at a start. Is a web site enough? Is bike sharing enough? I suspect not. Hey, but who knows. Not trying is the only way to ensure failure.

What I promise is that my efforts going forward my efforts and commitment will match the scale of the challenge.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At January 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed !! Its all about personal responsability. Everyone just wants to go on, doing whatever they want, because, "who cares". Life is not a free ride. It is everyone's personal responsability to do whatever they can to minimise their own negative impact.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home